LARRAÑAGA Y ELORZA, S.A. - 100 YEARS
2018-06-04 ¦ marina
On the occasion of its 100th anniversary, the Arms Industry Museum will run the exhibition Larrañaga y Elorza S.A. 100 years, in which it will present the evolution in this company’s production. The exhibition will run from 7th-29th June.
The company Larrañaga y Elorza, S.A. was founded in 1918 by Carlos Larrañaga Olaizola and Domingo Elorza Zabaleta. Both founders were fine workers from the Star, arms, spare parts and accessories machining operators. So much so that Bonifacio Echeverria granted them the license to make handcuffs with the Star brand.
A product continuously manufactured since 1921, although they changed the brand name. They therefore founded the company: “Larrañaga y Elorza S.R.C.” on 17th August 1918, where the two partners started their business with five workers. They later became a Limited Company in 1951 and a Public Limited Company in 1951.
They had their first premises in the Calle Ardanza, later moving to Jardines and from there, in 1959, they established their business address at no. 13 Calle Barrena.
At first they manufactured arms, precisely the pistol called “Jubala”, made in calibres 6.35 mm (25 ACP) and 7.65 (32 ACP), an “Eibar-type” pistol based on the 1906 Browning.
They continued to manufacture this pistol until 1923; however, in 1921 Larrañaga y Elorza S.A. had started to diversify their production, with the manufacture of handcuffs. This product has been their main product and still is today, commercialised with the registered trademark, “ALCYON”.
After the Civil War, around 1941, they started to make hardware articles, such as drills, small lathes, hammers, braces, etc. Later, and until 1980, they also sold DIY and hardware articles including corkscrews, clothes pegs, lemon squeezers etc.
In 1990, after important restructuring in all areas of the company management, they focussed solely and exclusively on producing handcuffs.
This lent importance to the areas of marketing and the creation and launch of new articles, expanding the range and increasing their commercial network by attending industry fairs. Given the need to modernise their installations, 10 years ago the company moved into new premises in Elgoibar, where it continues to operate today.
As a result, Larrañaga y Elorza S.A. continue to enjoy a good position in the global market for safety articles bearing the “ALCYON” name, which are exported to more than ninety countries all over the world.