Favourable response to the Arms Industry Museum continues

Nov 25, 2009
The Arms Industry Museum has received 4,000 visitors during the period from January to October.
Card image cap

With two months left before the end of the year, the Museum has almost doubled the total number of visitors registered in 2008. Indeed, coinciding with the Open Days, in the month of May alone no fewer than 2,300 people visited the Museum. This figure confirms the resounding success of the initiative.

The above is indicative of the growth that allows us to see in 2010 with optimism, particularly if we bear in mind that the crisis currently affecting the tourist sector and the reforms carried out in the interior of the Portalea building, in which the Museum is housed, have obliged us to operate in conditions that were far from ideal.

If we leave out the month of May, the month which saw the largest number of visitors - both national and foreign - was April. The summer months were remarkably popular, and August surprisingly so, given the customary exodus of the population of Eibar to their holiday destinations. This was, however, the month in which the Museum welcomed the largest number of visitors from other parts of the country.

Of the visitors to the Museum during the first ten months of the year, those who came as individuals account for 85 percent, while group bookings constitute the remaining 15 percent. Thus, except for the months of February, March and August, individual visitors outnumbered those who came as a group.

As far as the origin of visitors is concerned, the inhabitants of Eibar account for 39 percent of the visitors while 22 percent came from other parts of the Basque Country. We must highlight the proportion of visitors who came from other parts of Spain, 34 percent, almost as high as the number of local visitors. People have come from all over the country, and the region with the highest number of visitors is Madrid, followed at a distance by Castilla y León with the area of Valencia in third place.

The remaining 5 percent is made up of foreign visitors coming from countries like the USA, Germany, France, Portugal, Paraguay, Mexico, Argentina, Hungary, China, Chile, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Nigeria, India, Belgium and the Ukraine.

The Museum visitors’ book reflects the overall satisfaction of those who opted to record their opinions. Many were pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of products made in Eibar. They were impressed not only by the arms on display but also by many other products such as bicycles, motorcycles, household appliances, office material…

Last but not least, we would like to mention the sense of nostalgia and pride expressed by many local Eibar people who have passed through the Museum.